Degradation of Pharmaceutical Contamination by Photocatalytic Methods
Pharmaceutical wastewater generated from various industries contains toxic and hazardous compounds. The presence of these compounds in wastewater threatens the aquatic ecosystem and human beings. Therefore, it is essential to treat pharmaceutical wastewater before releasing it into the environment. Photocatalyst degradation is considered a green approach that can break down complicated organic pollutants completely, making it an excellent candidate for pharmaceutical wastewater treatment. In this paper, pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs), their sources, classifications, types of photocatalysts, photocatalyst preparation methods, and the pros and cons of photocatalytic processes are discussed.
2. Rizzo, L., et al., Heterogenous photocatalytic degradation kinetics and detoxification of an urban wastewater treatment plant effluent contaminated with pharmaceuticals. Water Research, 2009. 43(16): p. 4070-4078.
3. A. Saravanan, P.S.K., S. Jeevanantham, M. Anubha, S. Jayashree, Degradation of toxic agrochemicals and pharmaceutical pollutants. Environmental Pollution, 2022. 298.
4. Shajahan Shanavas, M.A.H., Dinesh Pratap Singh, Tansir Ahamad, Selvaraj Mohana Roopan, Quyet Van Le g, Roberto Acevedo, Ponnusamy Munusamy Anbarasan Development of high efficient Co3O4/Bi2O3/rGO nanocomposite for an effective photocatalytic degradation of pharmaceutical molecules with improved interfacial charge transfer. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 2022. 10(2).
5. T. Velempini, E.P., K. Pillay, Recent developments in the use of metal oxides for photocatalyticdegradation of pharmaceutical pollutants in waterda review. Materials Today Chemistry, 2021. 19.
6. Oluwole, A.O., E.O. Omotola, and O.S. Olatunji, Pharmaceuticals and personal care products in water and wastewater: a review of treatment processes and use of photocatalyst immobilized on functionalized carbon in AOP degradation. BMC Chem, 2020. 14(1): p. 62.
7. Samal, K., S. Mahapatra, and M. Hibzur Ali, Pharmaceutical wastewater as Emerging Contaminants (EC): Treatment technologies, impact on environment and human health. Energy Nexus, 2022. 6.
8. Krakowiak, R., et al., Titanium Dioxide-Based Photocatalysts for Degradation of Emerging Contaminants including Pharmaceutical Pollutants. Applied Sciences, 2021. 11(18).
9. Orimolade, B.O., et al., Recent advances in degradation of pharmaceuticals using Bi(2)WO(6) mediated photocatalysis - A comprehensive review. Environ Pollut, 2021. 289: p. 117891.
10. Mostafapour, D.B.a.F.K., Photocatalytic Degradation of Amoxicillin Using UV/Synthesized NiO from Pharmaceutical Wastewater. Indones. J. Chem., 2019. 19.
11. J.M. Monteagudo*, A.D., R. Culebradas, I. San Martín, A. Carnicer, Optimization of pharmaceutical wastewater treatment by solar/ferrioxalate photo-catalysis. Journal of Environmental Management, 2013.
12. Totsaporn Suwannaruanga, b., et al., High anatase purity of nitrogen-doped TiO2 nanorice particles for the photocatalytic treatment activity of pharmaceutical wastewater. Applied Surface Science, 2019. 478.
13. Thang, N.Q., et al., High-efficient photocatalytic degradation of commercial drugs for pharmaceutical wastewater treatment prospects: A case study of Ag/g-C(3)N(4)/ZnO nanocomposite materials. Chemosphere, 2021. 282: p. 130971.
14. Choi, J., et al., Heterogeneous photocatalytic treatment of pharmaceutical micropollutants: Effects of wastewater effluent matrix and catalyst modifications. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2014. 147: p. 8-16.
15. Sarah Mozzaquatro Pasini a, b., et al., An overview on nanostructured TiO2–containing fibers for photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutants in wastewater treatment Journal of Water Process Engineering 2020.
16. Asadzadeh Patehkhor, H., M. Fattahi, and M. Khosravi-Nikou, Synthesis and characterization of ternary chitosan-TiO(2)-ZnO over graphene for photocatalytic degradation of tetracycline from pharmaceutical wastewater. Sci Rep, 2021. 11(1): p. 24177.
17. Nasir, A.M., et al., A review on floating nanocomposite photocatalyst: Fabrication and applications for wastewater treatment. Journal of Water Process Engineering, 2020. 36.
18. Han, M., et al., Research Progress and Prospects of Marine Oily Wastewater Treatment: A Review. Water, 2019. 11(12).
19. Dey, A. and P.R. Gogate, Nanocomposite photocatalysts-based wastewater treatment, in Handbook of Nanomaterials for Wastewater Treatment. 2021. p. 779-809.
20. Abubakar, H.L., et al., A review on the applications of zinc tungstate (ZnWO(4)) photocatalyst for wastewater treatment. Heliyon, 2022. 8(7): p. e09964.
21. Enesca, A. and L. Andronic, The Influence of Photoactive Heterostructures on the Photocatalytic Removal of Dyes and Pharmaceutical Active Compounds: A Mini-Review. Nanomaterials (Basel), 2020. 10(9).
22. Koe, W.S., et al., An overview of photocatalytic degradation: photocatalysts, mechanisms, and development of photocatalytic membrane. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2019. 27(3): p. 2522-2565.
23. a, K.S.V., et al., Photocatalytic degradation of pharmaceutical and pesticide compounds (PPCs) using doped TiO2 nanomaterials: A review. Water-Energy Nexus, 2020. 3.
24. Al-Nuaim, M.A., A.A. Alwasiti, and Z.Y. Shnain, The photocatalytic process in the treatment of polluted water. Chem Zvesti, 2022: p. 1-25.
25. Isaria, A.A., et al., Sono-photocatalytic degradation of tetracycline and pharmaceutical wastewater using WO3/CNT heterojunction nanocomposite under US and visible light irradiations: A novel hybrid system. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2020. 390.
26. Chen, C., et al., Hydrothermal Synthesis of the CuWO(4)/ZnO Composites with Enhanced Photocatalytic Performance. ACS Omega, 2020. 5(22): p. 13185-13195.
27. Atikah Mohd Nasir, J.J., Farhana Aziz*, Norhaniza Yusof, Wan Norhayati Wan Salleh, and M.A. Ahmad Fauzi Ismail, A review on floating nanocomposite photocatalyst: Fabrication and applications for wastewater treatment. Journal of Water Process Engineering, 2020. 36: p. 101-300.
28. Sampaio, M.J., et al., A technological approach using a metal-free immobilized photocatalyst for the removal of pharmaceutical substances from urban wastewaters. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2023.
29. Al Balushi, B.S.M., et al., Hydrothermal synthesis of CdS sub-microspheres for photocatalytic degradation of pharmaceuticals. Applied Surface Science, 2018. 457: p. 559-565.
30. Awfa, D., et al., Novel Magnetic Carbon Nanotube-TiO2 Composites for Solar Light Photocatalytic Degradation of Pharmaceuticals in the Presence of Natural Organic Matter. Journal of Water Process Engineering, 2019. 31.
31. Liu, L., et al., Treatment of industrial dye wastewater and pharmaceutical residue wastewater by advanced oxidation processes and its combination with nanocatalysts: A review Journal of Water Process Engineering 2021. 42: p. 102-122.
32. Antoniadou, M., P.P. Falara, and V. Likodimos, Photocatalytic degradation of pharmaceuticals and organic contaminants of emerging concern using nanotubular structures. Current Opinion in Green and Sustainable Chemistry, 2021. 29.
33. Czech, B. and W. Buda, Photocatalytic treatment of pharmaceutical wastewater using new multiwall-carbon nanotubes/TiO2/SiO2 nanocomposites. Environ Res, 2015. 137: p. 176-84.
34. Bagheri, S., A. TermehYousefi, and T.-O. Do, Photocatalytic pathway toward degradation of environmental pharmaceutical pollutants: structure, kinetics and mechanism approach. Catalysis Science & Technology, 2017. 7(20): p. 4548-4569.
35. Matoh, L., et al., Photocatalytic sol-gel/P25 TiO2 coatings for water treatment: Degradation of 7 selected pharmaceuticals. Ceramics International, 2022.
36. on, M.P.-G., et al., TiO2-carbon microspheres as photocatalysts for effective remediation of pharmaceuticals under simulated solar light Separation and Purification Technology, 2021. 275.
37. Hojamberdiev, M., et al., SnO2@ZnS photocatalyst with enhanced photocatalytic activity for the degradation of selected pharmaceuticals and personal care products in model wastewater. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2020. 827.
38. Fu, Z., et al., Preparation of nano-Zn2GeO4/rGO composite photocatalyst and its treatment of synthetic dye wastewater. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2021. 259.
39. Wei Chen, Z.-C.H., Guo-Bo Huang, Cheng-Lin Wu, Wu-Fei Chen, XiaoHeng Li, Direct Z-scheme 2D/2D MnIn2S4/g-C3N4 architectures with highly efficient photocatalytic activities towards treatment of pharmaceutical wastewater and hydrogen evolution. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2018.
40. Belisa A. Marinho, L.S., Blaž Likozar, Matej Huš , Živa Marinko, Miran Čeh, Photocatalytic, electrocatalytic and photoelectrocatalytic degradation of pharmaceuticals in aqueous media: Analytical methods, mechanisms, simulations, catalysts and reactors. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2022. 343.
41. Zuo, W., et al., Degradation of organic pollutants by intimately coupling photocatalytic materials with microbes: a review. Crit Rev Biotechnol, 2021. 41(2): p. 273-299.
42. 1, F.Z., et al., Recent Advances and Applications of Semiconductor Photocatalytic Technology. applied science, 2019.
43. Medina-Ramírez, I., A. Hernández-Ramírez, and M.L. Maya-Treviño, Synthesis Methods for Photocatalytic Materials, in Photocatalytic Semiconductors. 2015. p. 69-102.
44. Kumar, V., et al., A Review Paper on Heterogeneous Fenton Catalyst: Types of Preparation, Modification Techniques, Factors Affecting the Synthesis, Characterization, and Application in the Wastewater Treatment. Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis, 2020. 15(1): p. 1-34.
45. Pouramini, Z., VOCs catalytic combustion by perovskite catalysts: A mini-review. Advances in Applied NanoBio-Technologies 2022. 3(2): p. 22-30.
46. Jamjoum, H.A.A., et al., Synthesis, Characterization, and Photocatalytic Activities of Graphene Oxide/metal Oxides Nanocomposites: A Review. Front Chem, 2021. 9: p. 752276.
47. Khaleque, A., et al., Zeolite synthesis from low-cost materials and environmental applications: A review. Environmental Advances, 2020. 2.
48. Anik, M.I., et al., Recent progress of magnetic nanoparticles in biomedical applications: A review. Nano Select, 2021. 2(6): p. 1146-1186.
49. Friedmann, D., A General Overview of Heterogeneous Photocatalysis as aRemediation Technology for Wastewaters Containing Pharmaceutical Compounds. water, 2022.
50. Mandade, P., Introduction, basic principles, mechanism, and challenges of photocatalysis, in Handbook of Nanomaterials for Wastewater Treatment. 2021. p. 137-154.
51. Bo Weng, ‡ Ming-Yu Qi,†,‡ Chuang Han,†,‡ Zi-Rong Tang,‡ and Yi-Jun Xu*, Photocorrosion Inhibition of Semiconductor-Based Photocatalysts: Basic Principle, Current Development, and Future Perspective. ACS Catalysis, 2019. 9: p. 4642-4687.
52. Y.G.H.L.W.M.W.S.Y.Z. and W. Choi5, Photocatalytic activity enhanced via surface hybridization. CARBON ENERGY WILEY, 2020.
Copyright (c) 2023 Advances in Applied NanoBio-Technologies
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.