Using nanomembrane to heavy metal removal from wastewater: A mini-review
Clean water is one of the essential factors in all creature's life and human beings. The contamination of various pollutants, especially heavy metals, in water bodies causes environmental pollution and excessive death of living organisms due to industrial development. Many methods have been done to overcome this issue and produce clean water. It should be noted that none of them was as successful as nanomaterials. In this review, nanomembrane as a good candidate was chosen to eliminate the heavy metals from wastewater. Also, the pros and cons and future perspectives of using nanomembrane were introduced, respectively.
2. Genevois N, Villandier N, Chaleix V, Poli E, Jauberty L, Gloaguen V. Removal of cesium ion from contaminated water: Improvement of Douglas fir bark biosorption by a combination of nickel hexacyanoferrate impregnation and TEMPO oxidation. Ecological Engineering. 2017;100:186-93.
3. Okolo N, Olowolafe E, Akawu I, Okoduwa S. Effects of industrial effluents on soil resources in Challawa industrial area, Kano, Nigeria. Journal of Global Ecology and Environment. 2016;5(1):1-10.
4. Qasem NA, Mohammed RH, Lawal DU. Removal of heavy metal ions from wastewater: A comprehensive and critical review. Npj Clean Water. 2021;4(1):1-15.
5. Huang Y, Chen Q, Deng M, Japenga J, Li T, Yang X, et al. Heavy metal pollution and health risk assessment of agricultural soils in a typical peri-urban area in southeast China. Journal of environmental management. 2018;207:159-68.
6. Abd El Hameed AH, Eweda WE, Abou-Taleb KA, Mira H. Biosorption of uranium and heavy metals using some local fungi isolated from phosphatic fertilizers. Annals of Agricultural Sciences. 2015;60(2):345-51.
7. Esmaeili A, Khoshnevisan N. Optimization of process parameters for removal of heavy metals by biomass of Cu and Co-doped alginate-coated chitosan nanoparticles. Bioresource technology. 2016;218:650-8.
8. Zhang X, Zhao X, Wan C, Chen B, Bai F. Efficient biosorption of cadmium by the self-flocculating microalga Scenedesmus obliquus AS-6-1. Algal Research. 2016;16:427-33.
9. Avval ZM, Malekpour L, Raeisi F, Babapoor A, Mousavi SM, Hashemi SA, et al. Introduction of magnetic and supermagnetic nanoparticles in new approach of targeting drug delivery and cancer therapy application. Drug metabolism reviews. 2020;52(1):157-84.
10. Gholami A, Mousavi SM, Hashemi SA, Ghasemi Y, Chiang W-H, Parvin N. Current trends in chemical modifications of magnetic nanoparticles for targeted drug delivery in cancer chemotherapy. Drug metabolism reviews. 2020;52(1):205-24.
11. El-Gendy MMAA, El-Bondkly AMA. Evaluation and enhancement of heavy metals bioremediation in aqueous solutions by Nocardiopsis sp. MORSY1948, and Nocardia sp. MORSY2014. brazilian journal of microbiology. 2016;47:571-86.
12. Hashemi SA, Mousavi SM, Ramakrishna S. Effective removal of mercury, arsenic and lead from aqueous media using Polyaniline-Fe3O4-silver diethyldithiocarbamate nanostructures. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2019;239:118023.
13. Hlihor RM, Figueiredo H, Tavares T, Gavrilescu M. Biosorption potential of dead and living Arthrobacter viscosus biomass in the removal of Cr (VI): batch and column studies. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. 2017;108:44-56.
14. Sekoai PT, Ouma CNM, Du Preez SP, Modisha P, Engelbrecht N, Bessarabov DG, et al. Application of nanoparticles in biofuels: an overview. Fuel. 2019;237:380-97.
15. Mousavi SM, Hashemi SA, Esmaeili H, Amani AM, Mojoudi F. Synthesis of Fe3O4 nanoparticles modified by oak shell for treatment of wastewater containing Ni (II). Acta Chimica Slovenica. 2018;65(3):750-6.
16. Bishoge OK, Zhang L, Suntu SL, Jin H, Zewde AA, Qi Z. Remediation of water and wastewater by using engineered nanomaterials: a review. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A. 2018;53(6):537-54.
17. Yaqoob AA, Parveen T, Umar K, Mohamad Ibrahim MN. Role of nanomaterials in the treatment of wastewater: A review. Water. 2020;12(2):495.
18. Bassyouni M, Abdel-Aziz M, Zoromba MS, Abdel-Hamid S, Drioli E. A review of polymeric nanocomposite membranes for water purification. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. 2019;73:19-46.
19. Waduge P, Larkin J, Upmanyu M, Kar S, Wanunu M. Programmed synthesis of freestanding graphene nanomembrane arrays. Small. 2015;11(5):597-603.
20. Zahid M, Rashid A, Akram S, Rehan Z, Razzaq W. A comprehensive review on polymeric nano-composite membranes for water treatment. J Membr Sci Technol. 2018;8(2):1-20.
21. Kochkodan V, Hilal N. A comprehensive review on surface modified polymer membranes for biofouling mitigation. Desalination. 2015;356:187-207.
22. Saleh TA, Parthasarathy P, Irfan M. Advanced functional polymer nanocomposites and their use in water ultra-purification. Trends in Environmental Analytical Chemistry. 2019;24:e00067.
23. Yin J, Yang Y, Hu Z, Deng B. Attachment of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) onto thin-film composite (TFC) membranes through covalent bonding to reduce membrane biofouling. Journal of membrane science. 2013;441:73-82.
24. Zhang M, Field RW, Zhang K. Biogenic silver nanocomposite polyethersulfone UF membranes with antifouling properties. Journal of membrane science. 2014;471:274-84.
25. Gopalakrishnan I, Samuel RS, Sridharan K. Nanomaterials-based adsorbents for water and wastewater treatments. Emerging Trends of Nanotechnology in Environment and Sustainability: Springer; 2018. p. 89-98.
26. Agrawal KV, Topuz B, Pham TCT, Nguyen TH, Sauer N, Rangnekar N, et al. Oriented MFI membranes by gel‐less secondary growth of sub‐100 nm MFI‐nanosheet seed layers. Advanced Materials. 2015;27(21):3243-9.
27. Shete M, Kumar M, Kim D, Rangnekar N, Xu D, Topuz B, et al. Titelbild: Nanoscale Control of Homoepitaxial Growth on a Two‐Dimensional Zeolite (Angew. Chem. 2/2017). Angewandte Chemie. 2017;129(2):431-.
28. Ghaemi N, Madaeni SS, Daraei P, Rajabi H, Zinadini S, Alizadeh A, et al. Polyethersulfone membrane enhanced with iron oxide nanoparticles for copper removal from water: Application of new functionalized Fe3O4 nanoparticles. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2015;263:101-12.
29. Mansour S, Al-Wafi R, Ahmed M, Wageh S. Microstructural, morphological behavior and removal of Cr (VI) and Se (IV) from aqueous solutions by magnetite nanoparticles/PVA and cellulose acetate nanofibers. Applied Physics A. 2020;126(3):1-14.
30. Mansourpanah Y, Madaeni S, Rahimpour A, Adeli M, Hashemi M, Moradian M. Fabrication new PES-based mixed matrix nanocomposite membranes using polycaprolactone modified carbon nanotubes as the additive: property changes and morphological studies. Desalination. 2011;277(1-3):171-7.
31. Nayak V, Jyothi M, Balakrishna RG, Padaki M, Deon S. Novel modified poly vinyl chloride blend membranes for removal of heavy metals from mixed ion feed sample. Journal of hazardous materials. 2017;331:289-99.
32. Mahmoudian M, Balkanloo PG, Nozad E. A facile method for dye and heavy metal elimination by pH sensitive acid activated montmorillonite/polyethersulfone nanocomposite membrane. Chinese Journal of Polymer Science. 2018;36(1):49-57.
33. Yin J, Deng B. Polymer-matrix nanocomposite membranes for water treatment. Journal of membrane science. 2015;479:256-75.
34. Mousavi S, Arjmand O, Hashemi S, Banaei N. Modification of the epoxy resin mechanical and thermal properties with silicon acrylate and montmorillonite nanoparticles. Polymers from Renewable Resources. 2016;7(3):101-13.
35. Vatanpour V, Madaeni SS, Khataee AR, Salehi E, Zinadini S, Monfared HA. TiO2 embedded mixed matrix PES nanocomposite membranes: Influence of different sizes and types of nanoparticles on antifouling and performance. Desalination. 2012;292:19-29.
36. Ng LY, Mohammad AW, Leo CP, Hilal N. Polymeric membranes incorporated with metal/metal oxide nanoparticles: A comprehensive review. Desalination. 2013;308:15-33.
37. Zargar M, Hartanto Y, Jin B, Dai S. Understanding functionalized silica nanoparticles incorporation in thin film composite membranes: Interactions and desalination performance. Journal of Membrane Science. 2017;521:53-64.
38. Mousavi M, Hashemi A, Arjmand O, Amani AM, Babapoor A, Fateh MA, et al. Erythrosine adsorption from aqueous solution via decorated graphene oxide with magnetic iron oxide nano particles: kinetic and equilibrium studies. Acta Chimica Slovenica. 2018;65(4):882-94.
39. Hashemi SA, Mousavi SM. Effect of bubble based degradation on the physical properties of Single Wall Carbon Nanotube/Epoxy Resin composite and new approach in bubbles reduction. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing. 2016;90:457-69.
40. Mousavi SM, Low FW, Hashemi SA, Samsudin NA, Shakeri M, Yusoff Y, et al. Development of hydrophobic reduced graphene oxide as a new efficient approach for photochemotherapy. RSC Advances. 2020;10(22):12851-63.
41. Hashemi SA, Mousavi SM, Bahrani S, Ramakrishna S. Integrated polyaniline with graphene oxide-iron tungsten nitride nanoflakes as ultrasensitive electrochemical sensor for precise detection of 4-nitrophenol within aquatic media. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. 2020;873:114406.
42. Alpatova A, Meshref M, McPhedran KN, El-Din MG. Composite polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) membrane impregnated with Fe2O3 nanoparticles and multiwalled carbon nanotubes for catalytic degradation of organic contaminants. Journal of membrane science. 2015;490:227-35.
43. Arsuaga JM, Sotto A, del Rosario G, Martínez A, Molina S, Teli SB, et al. Influence of the type, size, and distribution of metal oxide particles on the properties of nanocomposite ultrafiltration membranes. Journal of membrane science. 2013;428:131-41.
44. Wu Y, Liu X, Cui J, Meng M, Dai J, Li C, et al. Bioinspired synthesis of high-performance nanocomposite imprinted membrane by a polydopamine-assisted metal-organic method. Journal of hazardous materials. 2017;323:663-73.
45. Das MR, Sarma RK, Saikia R, Kale VS, Shelke MV, Sengupta P. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles in an aqueous suspension of graphene oxide sheets and its antimicrobial activity. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2011;83(1):16-22.
46. Pan Y, Yu Z, Shi H, Chen Q, Zeng G, Di H, et al. A novel antifouling and antibacterial surface‐functionalized PVDF ultrafiltration membrane via binding Ag/SiO2 nanocomposites. Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology. 2017;92(3):562-72.
47. Li B, Li Y, Zhao Y, Sun L. Shape-controlled synthesis of Cu2O nano/microcrystals and their antibacterial activity. Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids. 2013;74(12):1842-7.
48. Hoseini SN, Pirzaman AK, Aroon MA, Pirbazari AE. Photocatalytic degradation of 2, 4-dichlorophenol by Co-doped TiO2 (Co/TiO2) nanoparticles and Co/TiO2 containing mixed matrix membranes. Journal of water process engineering. 2017;17:124-34.
49. Mousavi S, Esmaeili H, Arjmand O, Karimi S, Hashemi S. Biodegradation study of nanocomposites of phenol novolac epoxy/unsaturated polyester resin/egg shell nanoparticles using natural polymers. Journal of Materials. 2015;2015:1-6.
50. Lee S-L, Ho L-N, Ong S-A, Wong Y-S, Voon C-H, Khalik WF, et al. Exploring the relationship between molecular structure of dyes and light sources for photodegradation and electricity generation in photocatalytic fuel cell. Chemosphere. 2018;209:935-43.
51. Zhao S, Yan W, Shi M, Wang Z, Wang J, Wang S. Improving permeability and antifouling performance of polyethersulfone ultrafiltration membrane by incorporation of ZnO-DMF dispersion containing nano-ZnO and polyvinylpyrrolidone. Journal of Membrane Science. 2015;478:105-16.
52. Mousavi S, Zarei M, Hashemi S. Polydopamine for biomedical application and drug delivery system. Med Chem (Los Angeles). 2018;8:218-29.
53. Mousavi SM, Hashemi SA, Salahi S, Hosseini M, Amani AM, Babapoor A. Development of clay nanoparticles toward bio and medical applications: IntechOpen; 2018.
54. Rostam AB, Peyravi M, Ghorbani M, Jahanshahi M. Antibacterial surface modified of novel nanocomposite sulfonated polyethersulfone/polyrhodanine membrane. Applied Surface Science. 2018;427:17-28.
55. Yang Y, Hillmann R, Qi Y, Korzetz R, Biere N, Emmrich D, et al. Ultrahigh ionic exclusion through carbon nanomembranes. Advanced Materials. 2020;32(8):1907850.
56. Takmil F, Esmaeili H, Mousavi SM, Hashemi SA. Nano-magnetically modified activated carbon prepared by oak shell for treatment of wastewater containing fluoride ion. Advanced Powder Technology. 2020;31(8):3236-45.
57. Liu G, Jin W, Xu N. Two‐dimensional‐material membranes: a new family of high‐performance separation membranes. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 2016;55(43):13384-97.
58. Huang B, Wang X, Fang H, Jiang S, Hou H. Mechanically strong sulfonated polybenzimidazole PEMs with enhanced proton conductivity. Materials Letters. 2019;234:354-6.
59. Cui J, Li F, Wang Y, Zhang Q, Ma W, Huang C. Electrospun nanofiber membranes for wastewater treatment applications. Separation and Purification Technology. 2020;250:117116.
60. Bhat A, Rehman W, Khan I, Khan I, Ahmad S, Ayoub M, et al. Nanocomposite membrane for environmental remediation. Polymer-based Nanocomposites for Energy and Environmental Applications: Elsevier; 2018. p. 407-40.
61. Tul Muntha S, Kausar A, Siddiq M. Advances in polymeric nanofiltration membrane: A review. Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering. 2017;56(8):841-56.
62. Rashidi HR, Sulaiman NMN, Hashim NA, Hassan CRC, Ramli MR. Synthetic reactive dye wastewater treatment by using nano-membrane filtration. Desalination and Water Treatment. 2015;55(1):86-95.
63. Belloň T, Polezhaev P, Vobecká L, Slouka Z. Fouling of a heterogeneous anion-exchange membrane and single anion-exchange resin particle by ssdna manifests differently. Journal of Membrane Science. 2019;572:619-31.
64. Seyed MM. Unsaturated polyester resins modified with cresol novolac epoxy and silica nanoparticles: processing and mechanical properties. International Journal of Chemical and Petroleum Sciences (IJCPS). 2016;5(1):13-26.
65. Naeem F, Naeem S, Zhao Z, Shu G-q, Zhang J, Mei Y, et al. Atomic layer deposition synthesized ZnO nanomembranes: A facile route towards stable supercapacitor electrode for high capacitance. Journal of Power Sources. 2020;451:227740.
66. Ying Y, Ying W, Li Q, Meng D, Ren G, Yan R, et al. Recent advances of nanomaterial-based membrane for water purification. Applied Materials Today. 2017;7:144-58.
Copyright (c) 2022 Advances in Applied NanoBio-Technologies
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.