When stem cells meet nanoparticles for biomedical treatments: A mini-review
One of the newest technologies that have been proposed for medical treatments that have attracted a lot of attention is the use of nanoparticles. Today, a wide variety of nanoparticles are known and made. These nanoparticles are used in further research. Especially Nanoparticles have a variety of effects on stem cells. In This mini-review, some applications and effects of nanoparticles in medical treatments have been investigated. First, the toxicity of one of the most common nanoparticles (silver nanoparticle) on stem cells was examined. Also, the potential of several nanoparticles in stem cell differentiation and proliferation and their role in mesenchymal stem cells, neuronal stem cells, and cancer Nanomedicine that has vital in our research was discussed. The purpose of writing this mini-review is to get acquainted with the most common nanoparticles and some of their effects on stem cells for medical treatments. With a better understanding of nanoparticles, they can be better used in clinical treatments or control many deadly diseases.
2. He L, Gu J, Lim LY, Yuan Z-x, Mo J. Nanomedicine-mediated therapies to target breast cancer stem cells. Frontiers in pharmacology. 2016;7:313.
3. Sun Y, Lu Y, Yin L, Liu Z. The roles of nanoparticles in stem cell-based therapy for cardiovascular disease. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology. 2020;8:947.
4. Gao X, Topping VD, Keltner Z, Sprando RL, Yourick JJ. Toxicity of nano-and ionic silver to embryonic stem cells: a comparative toxicogenomic study. Journal of nanobiotechnology. 2017;15(1):1-18.
5. Zakrzewski W, Dobrzyński M, Szymonowicz M, Rybak Z. Stem cells: past, present, and future. Stem cell research & therapy. 2019;10(1):1-22.
6. Ghahramani Y, Javanmardi N. Graphene Oxide Quantum Dots and their applications via stem cells: A mini-review. Advances in Applied NanoBio-Technologies. 2021;2(3):54-6.
7. Dayem AA, Choi HY, Yang GM, Kim K, Saha SK, Kim JH, et al. The potential of nanoparticles in stem cell differentiation and further therapeutic applications. Biotechnology journal. 2016;11(12):1550-60.
8. Hashemi SA, Behbahan NGG, Bahrani S, Mousavi SM, Gholami A, Ramakrishna S, et al. Ultra-sensitive viral glycoprotein detection NanoSystem toward accurate tracing SARS-CoV-2 in biological/non-biological media. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 2021;171:112731.
9. Repar N, Li H, Aguilar JS, Li QQ, Drobne D, Hong Y. Silver nanoparticles induce neurotoxicity in a human embryonic stem cell-derived neuron and astrocyte network. Nanotoxicology. 2018;12(2):104-16.
10. Parvin N, Babapoor A, Nematollahzadeh A, Mousavi SM. Removal of phenol and β-naphthol from aqueous solution by decorated graphene oxide with magnetic iron for modified polyrhodanine as nanocomposite adsorbents: Kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies. Reactive and Functional Polymers. 2020;156:104718.
11. Mousavi SM, Behbudi G, Hashemi SA, Babapoor A, Chiang W-H, Ramakrishna S, et al. Recent Progress in Electrochemical Detection of Human Papillomavirus (HPV) via Graphene-Based Nanosensors. Journal of Sensors. 2021;2021.
12. Abdal Dayem A, Lee SB, Cho S-G. The impact of metallic nanoparticles on stem cell proliferation and differentiation. Nanomaterials. 2018;8(10):761.
13. Abdollahifar A, Hashemi SA, Mousavi SM, Rahsepar M, Amani AM. Fabrication of graphene oxide‐lead oxide epoxy based composite with enhanced chemical resistance, hydrophobicity and thermo‐mechanical properties. Advances in Polymer Technology. 2018;37(8):3792-803.
14. Nematollahzadeh A, Babapoor A, Mousavi SM, Nuri A. Nitrobenzene adsorption from aqueous solution onto polythiophene-modified magnetite nanoparticles. Materials Chemistry and Physics. 2021;262:124266.
15. Ahmadi S, Fazilati M, Nazem H, Mousavi SM. Green synthesis of magnetic nanoparticles using Satureja hortensis essential oil toward superior antibacterial/fungal and anticancer performance. BioMed Research International. 2021;2021.
16. Hashemi SA, Mousavi SM, Naderi HR, Bahrani S, Arjmand M, Hagfeldt A, et al. Reinforced polypyrrole with 2D graphene flakes decorated with interconnected nickel-tungsten metal oxide complex toward superiorly stable supercapacitor. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2021;418:129396.
17. Kim J, Yang K, Lee JS, Hwang YH, Park HJ, Park KI, et al. Enhanced Self‐Renewal and Accelerated Differentiation of Human Fetal Neural Stem Cells Using Graphene Oxide Nanoparticles. Macromolecular bioscience. 2017;17(8):1600540.
18. Halim A, Luo Q, Ju Y, Song G. A mini review focused on the recent applications of graphene oxide in stem cell growth and differentiation. Nanomaterials. 2018;8(9):736.
19. Garcia-Alegria E, Iliut M, Stefanska M, Silva C, Heeg S, Kimber SJ, et al. Graphene Oxide promotes embryonic stem cell differentiation to haematopoietic lineage. Scientific reports. 2016;6(1):1-13.
20. Dayem AA, Kim B, Gurunathan S, Choi HY, Yang G, Saha SK, et al. Biologically synthesized silver nanoparticles induce neuronal differentiation of SH‐SY5Y cells via modulation of reactive oxygen species, phosphatases, and kinase signaling pathways. Biotechnology journal. 2014;9(7):934-43.
21. Sengstock C, Diendorf J, Epple M, Schildhauer TA, Köller M. Effect of silver nanoparticles on human mesenchymal stem cell differentiation. Beilstein journal of nanotechnology. 2014;5(1):2058-69.
22. Caplan AI. Mesenchymal stem cells: time to change the name! Stem cells translational medicine. 2017;6(6):1445-51.
23. Mushahary D, Spittler A, Kasper C, Weber V, Charwat V. Isolation, cultivation, and characterization of human mesenchymal stem cells. Cytometry Part A. 2018;93(1):19-31.
24. Saeedi P, Halabian R, Fooladi AAI. A revealing review of mesenchymal stem cells therapy, clinical perspectives and Modification strategies. Stem Cell Investigation. 2019;6.
25. Hashemi SA, Bahrani S, Mousavi SM, Omidifar N, Behbahan NGG, Arjmand M, et al. Ultra-precise label-free nanosensor based on integrated graphene with Au nanostars toward direct detection of IgG antibodies of SARS-CoV-2 in blood. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. 2021;894:115341.
26. Li X, Wei Z, Lv H, Wu L, Cui Y, Yao H, et al. Iron oxide nanoparticles promote the migration of mesenchymal stem cells to injury sites. International journal of nanomedicine. 2019;14:573.
27. Li X, Wei Z, Lv H, Wu L, Cui Y, Yao H, et al. Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Promote the Migration of Mesenchymal Stem Cells to Injury Sites [Corrigendum]. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2020;15:6095-6.
28. Yang X, Li Y, Liu X, Zhang R, Feng Q. In vitro uptake of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles and their effect on osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. Stem cells international. 2018;2018.
29. Turon P, Del Valle LJ, Alemán C, Puiggalí J. Biodegradable and biocompatible systems based on hydroxyapatite nanoparticles. Applied Sciences. 2017;7(1):60.
30. Li J, Zhang J, Wang X, Kawazoe N, Chen G. Gold nanoparticle size and shape influence on osteogenesis of mesenchymal stem cells. Nanoscale. 2016;8(15):7992-8007.
31. Hashemi SA, Mousavi SM, Bahrani S, Omidifar N, Arjmand M, Ramakrishna S, et al. Decorated graphene oxide flakes with integrated complex of 8-hydroxyquinoline/NiO toward accurate detection of glucose at physiological conditions. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. 2021;893:115303.
32. Jeelani PG, Mulay P, Venkat R, Ramalingam C. Multifaceted application of silica nanoparticles. A review. Silicon. 2020;12(6):1337-54.
33. Yang X, Liu X, Li Y, Huang Q, He W, Zhang R, et al. The negative effect of silica nanoparticles on adipogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2017;81:341-8.
34. Chooi YC, Ding C, Magkos F. The epidemiology of obesity. Metabolism. 2019;92:6-10.
35. Mousavi SM, Hashemi SA, Mazraedoost S, Yousefi K, Gholami A, Behbudi G, et al. Multifunctional Gold Nanorod for Therapeutic Applications and Pharmaceutical Delivery Considering Cellular Metabolic Responses, Oxidative Stress and Cellular Longevity. Nanomaterials. 2021;11(7):1868.
36. Ottoboni L, von Wunster B, Martino G. Therapeutic plasticity of neural stem cells. Frontiers in neurology. 2020;11:148.
37. Lin L, Zhuang X, Huang R, Song S, Wang Z, Wang S, et al. Size-dependent effects of suspended graphene oxide nanoparticles on the cellular fate of mouse neural stem cells. International journal of nanomedicine. 2020;15:1421.
38. Gliga AR, Edoff K, Caputo F, Källman T, Blom H, Karlsson HL, et al. Cerium oxide nanoparticles inhibit differentiation of neural stem cells. Scientific reports. 2017;7(1):1-20.
39. Pongrac IM, Pavičić I, Milić M, Ahmed LB, Babič M, Horák D, et al. Oxidative stress response in neural stem cells exposed to different superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles. International journal of nanomedicine. 2016;11:1701.
40. Pongrac IM, Ahmed LB, Mlinarić H, Jurašin DD, Pavičić I, Čermak AMM, et al. Surface coating affects uptake of silver nanoparticles in neural stem cells. Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology. 2018;50:684-92.
41. Abdolmaleki A, Asadi A, Gurushankar K, Shayan TK, Sarvestani FA. Importance of nano medicine and new drug therapies for cancer. Advanced Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2020;11(3):450-7.
42. Hashemi SA, Mousavi SM, Bahrani S, Ramakrishna S, Hashemi SH. Picomolar-level detection of mercury within non-biological/biological aqueous media using ultra-sensitive polyaniline-Fe 3 O 4-silver diethyldithiocarbamate nanostructure. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 2020;412:5353-65.
43. van der Meel R, Lammers T, Hennink WE. Cancer nanomedicines: oversold or underappreciated? Expert opinion on drug delivery. 2017;14(1):1-5.
44. Hui Y, Yi X, Hou F, Wibowo D, Zhang F, Zhao D, et al. Role of nanoparticle mechanical properties in cancer drug delivery. ACS nano. 2019;13(7):7410-24.
45. Shi J, Kantoff PW, Wooster R, Farokhzad OC. Cancer nanomedicine: progress, challenges and opportunities. Nature reviews cancer. 2017;17(1):20-37.
46. Parvanian S, Mostafavi SM, Aghashiri M. Multifunctional nanoparticle developments in cancer diagnosis and treatment. Sensing and Bio-Sensing Research. 2017;13:81-7.
47. Xin Y, Yin M, Zhao L, Meng F, Luo L. Recent progress on nanoparticle-based drug delivery systems for cancer therapy. Cancer biology & medicine. 2017;14(3):228.
Copyright (c) 2021 Advances in Applied NanoBio-Technologies
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.